Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12 traditions working guide

Default 12 traditions working guide

I am an addict named mike
    i was was wondering if there is a need for a traditions working guide like are step study guide would love to see what youall think about it and do youall know if there is one in the works

Default I don't think so

I really think that the way to get to know how to work the traditions is to participate in service and talk to lots of addicts. A lot of us figured out how to apply them in our lives by doing it the wrong way and then having an "ah hah" moment that makes us realize what the tradition means and how it works.

MohammedQ Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mikekna View Post
    I am an addict named mike
    i was was wondering if there is a need for a traditions working guide like are step study guide would love to see what youall think about it and do youall know if there is one in the works

yes , I agree . although there is wide space for local members to adapt things to there local issues, I prefer to see unfied reference to shorten the gap of personal guessing and acting

Love ( NA Hugs)
    Mohammed Q

Default How much literature is needed?!?

I'm not sure how much literature is needed to help addicts stay clean? All the information needed has already been printed. It's in the Basic Text. No matter how much literature is printed if your not applying the steps to your life it will be impossible to stay clean. It think it is a frivolous use of Narcotics Anonymous donations to keep printing unnecessary literature. After a working guide for the twelve traditions, how about a guide to working the concepts, how about a guide for willingness to apply steps to your life? Where does it end?!?!

I currently have a copy of a potential tradition guide. I believe this is part of what we are looking into publishing. while it is correct that we have mass quantities of literature regarding our traditions. I'm curious, with a tradition guide I would spend time writing, reading, discussing and focusing directly on the traditions how is this bad? It's a book, a tool, another piece of literature only this would focus directly on the traditions and how we can learn to apply them.

Applying our traditions is vital; and is done yes in one's participation in service, but I ask you how well can I apply these principles until I am aware of them and there importance? I have been told many times that in making mistakes I will learn what not to do and thus will learn to apply our traditions. So to educate ourselves prior to making mistakes, that would be like doing something responsible correct?

I was recently at a learning day and someone mentioned numerous places in our literature the suggests and implies that we have a responsibility to mentor our newer members. Wouldn't a tradition guide help us in this effort? I am an ex drug user with limited education, most of what I have learned (education, life skills,etc.) I have learned from NA but I for one can honestly tell you that I am by no means a great teacher. I would love a tradition guide to help me in teaching members what I have learned. Thats my humble opinion on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by addictnamedkathy View Post
    I'm not sure how much literature is needed to help addicts stay clean? All the information needed has already been printed. It's in the Basic Text. No matter how much literature is printed if your not applying the steps to your life it will be impossible to stay clean. It think it is a frivolous use of Narcotics Anonymous donations to keep printing unnecessary literature. After a working guide for the twelve traditions, how about a guide to working the concepts, how about a guide for willingness to apply steps to your life? Where does it end?!?!
    The fact is that WS will be printing literature regardless of how pertinent or frivolous. The point is do we need more literature asking the fellowship for more money, or do we need literature that teach us the traditions which are "non- negotiable" If my primary purpose is to carry the message of narcotics anonymous (not the message of world services) than i need to be clear what that message is. You know how people and especially addicts can interpret anything in order to get support to co-sign our shit. As long as our literature is dictated by the service structure, the clarity of the NA traditions will continue to become blurred. If, on the other hand, the fellowship gets back to the foundation with which our traditions were built, WE WILL be able to decide ourselves if new literature is needed and if so, what literature will best fullfill our primary purpose.
    I encourage everyone to read the CAR, participate in a different (or deeper) part of your own recovery and make a positive difference in recovery of the next one to walk through the doors of the NA fellowship even if you never meet them,

Default NA Frontier

WE WILL be able to decide ourselves if new literature is needed and if so, what literature will best fullfill our primary purpose.
    When we decide about literature needs or when we judge the value of a piece of literature we need to stay conscious of the fact that, though NA is well established in cities in the US and Canada, there are vast stretches of these countries where addicts still do NOT have opportunity to find NA.

In small towns in the midwest the meetings are very small and only host one or two meetings a week. There are smaller towns that have addicts - but no NA at all.

There are Native American Reservations which have addictions at epidemic proportions.

The frontier is still here. There are few if any sponsors in place to carry the NA message. Those that do find a way to start NA (or restart a failed group) need the message of NA as a whole.

Maybe we have enough now for those situations. But please do not forget this undeveloped territory or those like throughout the world when making those decisions.

Thanks, jimk
    East River Area
    South Dakota

hi, i'm Anton, addict from moscow, russia
    some of my fellow-addicts here already use some not approved traditions working guide from one of US regions to study traditions
    lots of others are going to follow their example

so my opinion is that would be great to have approved piece of literature for that )

hugs from russian NA!

I remember the Texas guide,that had some issues that they were willing to turn over to us to work on.
    Can't find it online anymore.
    http://navoices.com/ Quality WEcovery

There is a Traditions Study Guide in the process, my Area is interested, but we can't seem to find anything online. We want to be a part of the process, but where is the process? It feels as though the lit is being "passed down" rather than making it easy to be participants pants in the process.